The King’s Theatre opened in 1906 and welcomes over 200,000 visitors every year. Located in the heart of Tollcross, in the southwest of Edinburgh, this Grade A listed theatre has a stunning 1,300 seat Edwardian auditorium.
The King’s is Edinburgh’s home of West End drama and quality touring theatre, allowing local audiences the opportunity to see some of the UK’s most prolific actors and best touring productions.
The King’s Theatre is owned by the City of Edinburgh Council and managed by Capital Theatres.
An ambitious £25 million redevelopment project will commence in January 2023, re-opening in February 2025. The transformational development will:
- Modernise the stage house to reinvigorate the artistic programme.
- Transform access throughout the theatre including the installation of two new lifts.
- Overhaul the existing bars and foyers, providing flexible and enjoyable entertainment spaces for pre and post-performance.
- Create a brand new studio to provide a much-needed space for community engagement and learning projects.
- Unveil a new street level café and bar, accessible directly from Leven Street.
Montfort Catering Consultants have provided advice and support to Capital Theatres with a feasibility study and scoping exercise for the new public café and related food and drink locations and activities for the redeveloped theatre. One of the key areas of consideration was for the future café to support the objective of The King’s as an open house community asset – “somewhere where all are welcome to come and engage, to be the source of creative health and wellbeing for the city”.
Posted on June 30th, 2022